Thursday, May 5, 2011

Asparagus, Leek and Swiss Quiche 5/5 Spoons

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Okay, sometimes I love to be dramatic when it comes to food and after eating this quiche, you would understand why.


(Photo courtesy of Martha Stewart)

Finding and making this recipe was kind of a "throw the ingredients on the list and we'll see if it happens" sort of thing. I always have one meal that is iffy like that. Ideally I just love to eat asparagus roasted but I wanted to make something a bit fancier. Instead of this being the last thing I would make (and probably waiting until the leeks were too soft to eat), I made it first! And it was so worth the little bit of effort that was put forth. Oh, and can I say? I LOVE MARTHA STEWART. I like any woman who is a bitch, gets shit done and makes amazing recipes like this.


Here are my notes:

-- First, the quiche crust. I used this pie crust recipe from Martha Stewart that was suggested on the website. This is my new go to pie crust. It was flaky, light and buttery. All the things that are needed in a quiche and any and all sweet and savory options.
-- Instead of 1 T. of butter, I just used olive oil. There is plenty of butter in the crust as it is.
-- I used skim milk instead of half-and-half. I think it made for a slightly more watery texture at the end but I don't particularly like the richness of half-and-half, so I always skim milk instead.
-- Instead of Gruyere (which is delicious), I used Swiss instead which is a. cheaper, b. more widely available in supermarkets and c. is similar to Gruyere. I think you could honestly use any kind of cheese here.

Even after downing a super sweet Pina Colada and a pile of homemade guacamole, I still had room for two slices of this quiche. It was like sunshine shaking hands with a rainbow inside of my mouth. In other words, the crust was buttery and flaky, the inside was cheesy and rich (but not too much), so it was a wonderful balance of flavors. I know I say this about almost all of the recipes I show you, but this is one I would recommend making ASAP. And since asparagus is in season now, I would suggest making it even sooner than ASAP. Whatever that is. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment