Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Vegan Chickpea Cutlets and Vegetarian Gravy (and other fixins!) 5/5 Spoons

IF I COULD GIVE THIS MORE THAN 5/5 SPOONS, I WOULD!!!! But it's my blog, so I can do it if I want, right? I actually equated this meal with making love to a beautiful stranger. And since I can't really say that I've done that (ahem, in the last few years), I imagine it is like eating this meal.

I've made the Chickpea Cutlets quite a few times before and they are kind of time consuming but totally taste like a cruelty-free Thanksgiving stuffing formed into a patty. And I can't really say that I was ever one for gravy but knowing I can easily make this recipe without any meat is amazing.


(Photo courtesy of Soundly Vegan)

And now the notes:

-- I always double the cutlet recipe. It gives you about 8 really big cutlets and I love having these leftover the next day for lunch or dinner. As long as you are making them, go all out. And as I'm typing this I realize that I should bake these instead of pan frying them and stick them in a sandwich. YUM!
-- You could bake these but I prefer to fry them to make them crazy crispy. A little oil never hurt anyone.
-- All I can say about the gravy is BE PATIENT. I have a lot of patience when it comes to food (sometimes) but even I kind of rushed the thickening process. I made a slurry as to not make my gravy lumpy. Next time I might try supplementing some cornstarch the same way to speed up the process.
-- This makes a lot of gravy. I doubled the recipe and had to freeze about 4 c. of it. And that's after I totally doused my food, so remember that when making it.
-- I used dried parsley instead of fresh. Whatever, I don't think it does all that much in general.
-- And you could easily make this vegan with some Earth Balance or your favorite vegan butter alternatives. All I had was unsalted butter in the house, so that's what I went for.


(Photo courtesy of Pham Fatale)

And since this was like my Sunday Night Dinner gone wild (and um, on a Monday) I made roasted asparagus and creamy mashed potatoes. I have no recipe for the potatoes because I always change it up depending on what I am feeling and what I have in the fridge. This time I used milk, butter, sour cream, fresh dill from my herb garden, salt and pepper. And I always use Yukon Gold potatoes because I think they are by far the creamiest for mashed spuds. This meal is just a melange of salty meatiness. And if that sounds gross to you, sorry. I love salty and meaty tasting foods just like the rest of America. I recommend you take a few hours out of a slow day and make this meal and take in the delicious flavors!

Up next, (if it works, since I'm baking it right now), Seitan Pepperoni!

4 comments:

  1. i've never used vital wheat gluten before, i am now insanely curious about the texture of these! and now i want mashed potatoes and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! i'm making vegan pepperoni right now with wheat gluten. and i make seitan cutlets all the time. it's a nice thing to have around. i get mine at festival foods in the natural foods section for like $3.89/box. it's nice to have around even if you just use it for breads, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, just out of curiostity, where is Festival Foods? I think I've only ever seen Bob's Redmill Vital Wheat Gluten and it's at least twice that price at both Jewel and WF! I don't know that I can use any right now because Staci is concerned about having a possible wheat/gluten sensitivity, but just in case, it can't hurt to know these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so bad that I wrote Festival Foods because that is the grocery store chain in my hometown of Green Bay! Haha. I always buy it when I go home for a visit, but we don't have it here in Chicago obviously. Sorry to disappoint dear. I buy the Arrowhead Mills brand but I honestly haven't seen it much around here either.

    ReplyDelete