Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings 5/5 Spoons

Whoa, totally back. Hi again. Although I have about 15-20 recipes I have probably made since the last time I really posted, this is the most recent and really worth writing about.

I have a fall back dumpling soup but it was not vegan and that's what I was looking for. Lo and behold the PPK came through for me! It's nice to make a totally vegan meal and with soup it is often really easy to do. This recipe makes enough for 3 super hungry mouths perhaps with some left over for the next day. The only complaint I have is the addition of the fresh herbs. I love fresh herbs but I really think it was lost in the heartiness of the soup. Next time I might use dried dill and thyme. Herbs are great but I'll save them to finish off a soup, or knead into bread or sprinkled over pasta. Here are my notes:

-- I love the way brown mustard lends its flavor to a dumpling soup, so I squeezed about 1 T. in with the carrots/roux mixture.
-- I didn't use baby carrots, I used regular ones. I think it's pretty self-explanatory to use whatever you have on hand.
-- Once again, I would probably try out the dried herbs (maybe like 1 1/2 t. of dill to 1 t. of thyme and adjust as I go?)
-- Instead of navy beans, I used Great Northern (white) beans. I think any white bean would nicely here.
-- As for the dumplings.... I was kind of scared to use so much rosemary, but don't be. I only used 1/2 T. and it was not overwhelming. Do not use fresh rosemary, it is far too medicinal tasting for such a light broth.
-- I always use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk now (and love it!) instead of soy/almond milk. I like that is thicker and really doesn't taste like much.


(Photo courtesy of the PPK)

Don't be like me and serve this with sourdough bread.... because you will want to burst! But in a great way. I have a problem stopping at one bowl of soup and I plan on having another for lunch today. This was hearty and cruelty free! My two favorite things in a soup. I think the beans were a nice touch even if they weren't necessary. Once the beans start to simmer with those dumplings the soup became very thick and stew-like.

It feels so good to be back and stay tuned for the One Year Anniversary No Meat Mama giveaway (after the holidays)! No matter how you celebrate, I hope you have a great holiday that is spent with the ones you love and is filled with delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment