Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hi all!

So I haven't been around in a few days (or more than a week) but I'm still here, baking and cooking!

As anyone who is a vegetarian or vegan knows, it can be a hard road full of screw-ups and indecision at times. I'm not perfect but I know living a cruelty-free lifestyle is what works best for me. This blog will be going into a overhaul as I begin to transition into veganism. I'm not saying it will be perfect and I'm not saying I won't flub up a few times but I think it's about time. I won't preach to anyone because that is not what I'm here for.

I've seen quite a few videos showing horrifying acts of animal cruelty but this one* that was found through Mercy for Animals website today was really what tipped me off. I asked myself, why this video? I don't know. I always cry and feel awful when I see these videos but the sheer cruel violence it takes in a human being to do this is just heart breaking. To me, if you can do this to an animal, who says you wouldn't do it to a human?

There is a lot of privilege that comes along with being vegetarian and vegan. I don't have a lot of money but I have enough to buy vegan foods. I live in an area rife with vegan options unlike a lot who don't even have easy access to fresh fruit and vegetables. This is a HUGE problem in our society. This is something I would love to change and hopefully get involved with in my time living in Chicago. Steven Casey's Food Desert Action is something that is being done in impoverished areas of Chicago and it made my day reading that.

So I got off on a tangent there but I think you know where I'm going with this. As with everything, there are always politics involved. There will be resistance and acceptance on varying levels. All you can do is what's right for you and hopefully what you believe is right for society. Take care and you will be seeing me again very soon!

PS - I have a recipe featured in C.L.A.P (Creative Ladies Are Powerful) that will be coming out soon! I should be getting my hot little hands on a copy next weekend and then I will try to scan my recipe for you all. It is a vegan marble cake with vegan chocolate buttercream frosting that I believe I've perfected. ; ) And if Holly (who blogs here) is reading this at all, maybe she can tell you how you can also get a copy? That would be awesome.

Here is a description of the organization for all who are interested in becoming a contributor,reader,general lover, etc.: C.L.A.P. (Creative Ladies Are Powerful) is a progressive quarterly zine that celebrates women in all their various forms of creative living. You can check them out at their website and add like them on Facebook!

* Obviously the video is very graphic, so take caution. I could only get 45 seconds in before I had to shut it off.

If you want to leave a terrible review of E6 Cattle Company based out of Hart, Texas please go here and here. And you can call them and let them know what you think at 806-647-3744. I've heard barely anyone has been able to get through but keep trying, I know I will be this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. jackie - this post is totally inspiring. i think about going vegan pretty often - because of my history with food, i'm always a little weary about it but sometimes choices like this are bigger than my own bullshit, you know? anyway, your post made me think. :)

    also i found out about the CLAP fb page through your fb page. it is awesome - and i'm super stoked to see that you have a recipe in the upcoming one. go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jen! i totally read your blog, i hope you know that. i just may not comment, but i'll try to make a habit of it. i hope you are doing well. i'm glad this post made you think and that someone is reading it. ; )

    and thanks hon! i'm excited to see my recipe on paper, it should be pretty epic. take care my dear.

    ReplyDelete