Monday, January 3, 2011

Tortellini with Italian "Sausage" and Fennel 4/5 Spoons

Whew, 3 out of 3. I knew I could do it all today.

I made this dish last week and I've been thinking about it all week. If you are unsure what to make this coming week (or anytime), I highly suggest it. So why only 4/5 stars? I'll tell you below.



(Photo courtesy of Bon Appetit)

Bon Appetit is one of my favorite magazines and has an awesome array of recipes. It is not super veg friendly but you can find some real great gems if you look and a lot of the recipes are easily customized with non-meat counterparts. So many of their desserts are insane and amazing looking like Apricot-Raspberry Pavlovas with Sliced Almonds and Maple Cake with Maple Syrup Frosting. WHAT.

Back to the recipe.... Here are my tweaks....

-- I did not use any mushrooms. Sad as it is, my roommate does not like them. I think she is crazy, but I like to be accommodating!
-- Instead of sausage, I used Lightlife Italian Style Sausages. I cut them up into small chunks and fried them before throwing them in the pasta.
-- And if you haven't figured it out already, I used 1 cup of veggie broth instead of chicken broth.

There is a nice mix of flavor with the licorice flavor of the fennel, the spiciness of the "sausage", the saltiness of the parmesan and the chewy smoothness of the cheese tortellini. The only thing I would change is either using less cream or just omitting it all together and adding maybe a spoonful or two of sour cream. I thought the cream made it a little too soupy but after it cooled down, it wasn't such a big deal. So that's why the 4 stars, I thought the addition was pretty unnecessary and I will know better next time. I will definitely be making this again though.

Tomorrow, Vegetarian Midwest Tater Tot Casserole a la Jackie!

No comments:

Post a Comment