Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whole Foods Vegetarian Chili 5/5 Spoons

Chili was never my thing until very recently.

I have been a vegetarian for (give or take slip ups) 9 years now and up until this year, I didn't really even think about making it. But why not? Like pizza, it is easy customizable and can be made into something healthy and hearty. You can easily clean out your fridge and cabinet making chili.



So this Whole Foods recipe is my favorite by far. Here are my tweaks:

-- I used 2 T. of chipotles in adobo sauce and this makes the meal. I think this is the main reason I love this chili so much. It gives it such a spicy, smokey flavor that I haven't found in other veggie chili.
-- When I make this, I switch up the bean ratio everytime. This time I did one can of kidney beans and one can of black beans. Yes cans, I won't be bothered to soak my own beans, sorry world.
-- I always add a bag of Morningstar Veggie Crumbles. I like the chewiness and it gives it some thickness as well.
-- When I cook it towards the end, I don't let it simmer as long as it says in the recipe. I let it simmer for about 15 minutes, add the beans/crumbles and then let it go another 10 minutes, that's really all you need. It could be impatience but I'm okay with that. Once you smell this, you will want to eat it as fast as possible as well.

So I added a big loaf of crusty bread, sour cream and cheese and I had the ultimate winter meal! You can't do much better than that.

I give this recipe:

5/5 Spoons!

Next up, my favorite hummus recipe and No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment