Thursday, February 10, 2011

Creamy Dijon Dill Potato Salad 5/5 Spoons

Let's see if I can pound out a few recipe reviews here! I've been having knee trouble lately from shoveling like 2 hours this past weekend so I sit here waiting for my delivery food because I can't stand for a really long time to cook. But I've done quite a bit of cooking before this stupid injury.

So, I made this a few weeks ago but it's really the only potato salad I make anymore. I crave this which is unlike any other potato salad I've ever had. It is so smooth, creamy and full of flavor. The version I make has less fat than a normal potato salad and this is what makes me think I can eat like half of this bowl. This goes fast, so if you are making it for more than 3 people, you should double or triple it!



(Photo courtesy of Food Network)

Here are my notes and tweaks:

-- I have no idea how many potatoes I use. I use about 3 pounds (give or take) of Yukon Gold potatoes. I think Yukon Golds have a creaminess to them that other potatoes don't and that's why I like them. Oh and I don't peel them. I like the peel and that's where all the vitamins are!
-- I do indeed use the full cup of mayo BUT I use 1/2 c. Vegenaise (and I would use it all if I made this totally vegan) and 1/2 c. canola mayonnaise. It's what I always have on hand and the canola mayo gives it a creamier texture without all the cholesterol.
-- When using vinegar, I bounce between red wine and apple cider. It doesn't seem to matter much.

And can I just say how much I love dill? I will put it in just about anything. Lemons too. They go well in anything (well ya know, within reason.)

I made this as a side with Black Bean Burgers and it went so perfectly well. Let's be honest here. I want it to be summer and this reminded me of sitting outside in the grass, grilling and getting drunk at 5 pm on warm summer nights. A few more months and I can do just that!

I give this recipe:

5/5 Spoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment