Friday, February 25, 2011

Thick and Chewy Oatmeal (Not Raisin) Cookies 5/5 Spoons

There are very few things I really have a serious distaste for when it comes to food. Here is my list:

-- Wasabi in any form
-- Radishes (but even those I don't mind shredded)
-- Sesame oil (as stated previously)
-- RAISINS!


(Shriveled devils!, Photo courtesy of The Daily Green)

To me, raisins are just so damn gross and I just can't get over it. I thought they were something that I would enjoy as I got older but I feel like I hate them even more now. I love other dried fruit such as cranberries, blueberries, apricots, mango, etc. etc. There is just something about the flavor of raisins that makes me gag.

So my plan for these cookies was to make a plain batch sans raisins and then my own batch (for the chocolate lover in the apartment) with chocolate chips and pecans. AND I made them vegan! So I really kind of messed with this recipe but it was so worth it because they were like some of the best cookies I've had in awhile.


(Photo courtesy of Vegan Occasions)

Here are my notes (there a few, but trust me, it is worth it):

-- I used softened Earth Balance instead of butter.
-- To replace the egg I used 1 T. flax seed meal and 3 T. water whisked vigorously by hand until it was frothy and thick.
-- Because I'm running low on my unbleached flour, I used 1/4 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. AP flour. I really think you could use all whole wheat and I will probably try that out next time.
-- I split the dough in half and add about 1/2 c. of my same old Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chips and about 1/4 c. diced pecans. I thought about adding dried cranberries but I think two additions were plenty.
-- Oh, and definitely chill the dough like is instructed in the recipe. I did it for about two hours and I think it really did help it maintain the chewiness that made these cookies amazing.

So I adore this recipe because you can easily customize it and make it your own. It was super easy to make vegan and add whatever pleases me. They were so chewy, soft and crunchy all at the same time. You all know how much I adore chocolate and throwing oats and cinnamon (some of my other favorites) in the mix made me a happy lady.

I give this recipe:

5/5 Spoons!

I might not be back until next week because of moving... but there will be more to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment